The earliest events that set the stage for the birth of the AGA date back to the early 1920s when a small group of Christians—after meeting at a number of locations including El-Bethel, home of Cecil Harris on Shortwood Road, began to meet regularly at the home of T. J. and Clarabelle Karram at 66 Constant Spring Road.

The Karram’s two sons, Albert and Stanley, and Henry White later became members of the Rehoboth Mission, and were instructed in their early spiritual walk by Stanley Harris, pastor of the “mother” church, Rehoboth and brother of Cecil. He was not the founder of the church, but rather offered himself in 1925 to lead the small group of believers that had been meeting for about three years. Stanley Harris, his brother Cecil and an Alaskan native named John Wesley Long all figure prominently in the pre-formation years of the Association.

Rehoboth’s first full-time worker and assistant pastor was Frank S. Bent. Bent and Albert Karram were saved in November 1925 under the ministry of Stanley Harris. Bent and Harris had differences primarily concerning the operations at the Jones Town mission. These differences may have been what led to Bent’s departure from Rehoboth in 1935. The vast majority of the leadership and members sided with Bent, including T. J. Karram (father of Albert) on whose property the fellowship met. “Father” Karram thereafter left the church on his own premises Sunday after Sunday to go to Jones Town where his former employee, mason Frank Bent had become pastor.  Among the few who remained faithful to Harris were T. J.’s two sons, Albert and Stanley.

In 1946, Bro. Stanley Harris and his wife migrated to England, and left the then dwindling congregation at Rehoboth in the care of six elders whom he ordained.  They were Henry A. White, Albert T. Karram, Lancelot E. Smart, Phillip B. Christie, Louis Johnson and Granville Salmon.  These elders spearheaded the founding of several churches over the next two decades.

The Associated Gospel Assemblies was incorporated in 1959 by Henry Alexander White (Overseer), Albert Temeir Karram (Treasurer) and Stanley George Karram (Secretary).  For a number of years these men had along with several others, operated as a religious body and possessed several properties by a limited company known as Church Property (Undenominational) Limited.  The group had not been incorporated earlier as a religious body because of an adherence to a doctrine that they had received in their early spiritual nurture.  Incorporation in 1959 entitled these leaders and their group of about ten churches to operate Merl Grove High School, formerly a private institution, as a grant-aided institution.

Henry White had given up a lucrative contract with Rapid Sheffield and forsaken the building profession to serve full-time in the ministry.  He had a profound and particular sense of call to be overseer of the Association, and also served as Chairman for several years.  Eventually, the denomination ended the Overseer position and offered him any portfolio he desired.  He selected (Home) Missions and thus engaged his energies in the supervision of the churches.

In many ways, Henry White is a living legend in the AGA.  He was not part of the very earliest beginnings of the movement under Cecil Harris, nor was he a part of the movement when it was on the Karram porch.  In fact his time with Frank Bent barely overlapped, White becoming a member in January 1934, the year before Bent left.  His name is singularly linked with just about every Association congregation—from Rocky Point, Clarendon to Roundwood, England; from Olivet, Clarendon to Olivet in New York.